Friday, January 22, 2010

Little Fish Review: Jerk, California


Vital stats:

Title: Jerk, California
Written by: Jonathan Friesen
Genre: YA
Pub stats: Speak, 2004

Summary:

(taken from Booklist, by way of amazon.com)
In rural Wisconsin, Sam, a high-school student with Tourette syndrome, is alienated from his peers and rejected by his stepfather, and he has trouble getting close to lovely, kind Naomi. After graduation, his stepfather kicks him out of the house, and he accepts a job and lodging from another outcast, who knew Sam’s late father and dispels some of Sam’s misconceptions about his dad. Then, after more shake-ups at home, Sam embarks on a road trip with Naomi to California, hunting windmills and answers left by Sam’s dad along the way. Sam and his story are quixotic in the best possible way: he is a good-hearted dreamer trying to do right by his dulcinea. Debut author Friesen has Tourette syndrome, and he brings complexity and nuance to Sam’s struggle for understanding and self-acceptance. The pacing is leisurely, but like any good road story, there are enough corners and bends to keep readers eagerly anticipating what lies ahead at the journey’s end. Grades 10-12. --Heather Booth

Review in long:
(spoilers)

This was a book that caught my eye from the shelf several times. It's bright orange and has a quirky title that includes the name of my home state. I finally bought it when I read the first few pages and the voice really grabbed me.

Sam, our main man, is wonderfully written. The way he talks to himself, the way his Tourettes affects him, all of it. He was unique and awesome, and I really loved getting to know him. The writing in general is very good. It has some lovely telling details, and, again, voice is spot on.

Plot-wise, the beginning of the book is quirky and funny enough. Things are set up to be interesting - weird old guy and road trip? rockin', I'm so into this. The people they met on the roadtrip? hilarious and heartwarming in all the right ways.

I liked everything up until two thirds of the way in.

A few things happened at that time to turn me off.

1. I started to dislike Naomi. She was just so irritating sometimes. like in how she misunderstood things. Looking at stuff from Sam's perspective, you could see how/why he misunderstood, but it felt like Naomi was just kind of dense and moody. Also, I just did NOT understand where she was coming from. After her big secret is revealed, it doesn't really give that flash of insight into her character that makes you like her. it just kind of sits there and you go "oh." and then move on.

2. The ending surprises. Kind of anti-climactic in some ways, and it was just so sudden and easy the way Sam suddenly becomes this whole new confident dude. I don't know. I felt like I needed a bit more, or maybe a bit more subtlety?

3. The happily ever after ending. ugh, really? and I'm not talking "everyone is happy in the end" I'm talking "the bad get punished, the good rewarded and all living together in harmony with little birds tweeting around them" happy ending, which felt so flippin' sappy to me. I like my realism, dammit.

Review in short:

I wanted to like this book better then I did. Man character is a gem to read, but the ending just made it "meh" for me. Maybe get this one from the library.

Anything else?

Aw, according to my brief search on Google maps, Jerk, California does not exist. That makes me frowny. It would've been so much cooler if there was an actual town called Jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment